The latest round of WisDOT Transportation Alternative Program awards have been announced and $15,719,705 has been awarded.
The Transportation Alternatives program is incredibly popular and oversubscribed with communities across the state wanting to improve walking and biking infrastructure and applying for $47.966,736 in projects. Only 33% of submitted projects were awarded funding. More projects could be funded if the state did not flex out the maximum allowed to the general transportation fund, lowering the total amount available for TAP.
These awards fund 80% of project costs with local or private applicants covering the remaining 20%.
The next round will open in Oct 2019 with awards being made in summer of 2020.
Check out this link for more info on timelines and funding process.
Did you project get funded? Excited to see one of these finally go through? Let us know your thoughts on these projects!
We are especially excited about one award: The Bike Fed and our partnership with Milwaukee Public Schools to provide education and encouragement to thousands of students and families through 2022 was approved. Since 2005 when this project was first funded The Bike Fed has directly educated over 30,000 kids in bike and ped safety lessons. Indirectly and through programs tens of thousands more have received our message! Staff have taught over 100 kids to ride for the first time. Staff has helped dozens of schools host Walk and Bike to School Days, supplied 12 bike racks to schools, thus improving the health and safety of all those involved!